May 6, 2008

Visiting the State House







Today I was thrilled to take a trip down to our state capital Columbus, Ohio and visit the State House with my dad. I met with my area's House Representative, Barbara Sears of District 46 and spoke about her experiences in office since January 15th. We spoke about the responsibilities of Representatives and how state politics are run. I was more than honored to be her guest in a State House Session and be announced during Session. I also had a few fans up in the gallery, since there were school tours going on before session began. After the session was adjourned, I was escorted down to the floor for photos where I met a few of the Representatives including Rep. Kevin DeWine of District 70. I also had the opportunity to meet with a group of young men from Mansfield Ohio, the Madison Comprehensive High School Construction Team, who were honored for their outstanding performance at a national competition held in Las Vegas. I was then invited to sit in on a Committee meeting, where I witnessed the presentation on 4 new Bills into Committee.
I had such a wonderful day with Representative Sears and her staff member, Annie, and not only did I learn a lot about our state and how it works behind the scenes, but my goal to work in politics was only reinforced by my experiences. I am excited to see what is next for me!